Thursday, May 2, 2013

A Charming Mother-Daughter Craft




"Mothers hold their children's hands for a short while, but their hearts forever." ~ Author Unknown

  
The past month has flown by since I started working as assistant editor of Victoria magazine. I will fill you in on all the details soon, but for now wanted to share a mother-daughter craft idea. This was my craft for the May/June issue of Christian Woman. Sweet friends Harriet and Lynleigh Stephen were my beautiful models for this issue.


 


You might remember the necklaces I made for Mary Ashley and Emma to wear to Emma's birthday party earlier this year. Find the tutorial for these easy pendants here.



 



My good friend Missy Jones has organized a Wednesday night Bible class for "tween" girls and their mothers this summer. We will be studying the book Everybody Tells Me to Be Myself but I Don't Know Who I Am by Nancy Rue. Each week we will be discussing unique challenges faced by first- through sixth-grade girls. If you have a tween daughter and live in the Montgomery, Ala., area, we would love for you to join us! Message me for details, or leave a comment below.




 


As Missy filled me in on plans for the class, this mother-daughter craft came to mind. I think it would be lovely for mothers and daughters to make pendants together during an afternoon of crafting. Following directions in the tutorial, each would decorate her pendant to suit her personality. Then mother and daughter would switch pendants, and each would use a fine-tipped permanent marker to write qualities she admired about the other on the back of the pendant.



 


Exchanged again between mother and daughter, the front of the pendant would reflect each girl's personality and the image the world sees. But the back of the pendant -- the side worn closest to the heart -- would reveal the beauty that's inside.



I'm hoping I can sit down with my girls for this charming activity soon! If you didn't sign up for the giveaway in my last post, check out the tea party surprise here.

 

 
Blog Widget by LinkWithin