Wednesday, May 12, 2010

A Gift of Tranquili-Tea


I must admit, I was feeling a little blue yesterday as I considered the mountains of laundry that have piled up since last week's flare-up of incapacitating back pain. I was frustrated knowing how difficult it is to catch up once I fall behind in this ongoing household task, and discouraged as I made my first trip to the laundry room -- my muscles already throbbing before the day's chores even began.

Then out of the corner of my eye I spied a pretty gift on my counter -- a Mother's Day surprise one of the ladies from my church had given me days before. Margie Austin -- an elder's wife, Bible class teacher and mentor to many young mothers in our congregation -- had sought me out before the holiday with a pretty package in hand. Inside I found a gold-rimmed teacup, a handful of peach tea bags, and a pretty little devotional book called Woman of God: Moments of Grace. Tying everything together was a Mother's Day card with this poem inside:

Mother's Day comes but once a year;
It's a time of happiness and of cheer
For all those ladies who raise their "crew" --
Sit down, relax, a cup of "T" you'll brew.

Life is full of all kinds of "T's" --
Uncertainty -- quality -- even anxiety.
To help you relax we have added for you
Tea leaves with flavor to get you through.

Enjoy the tea while you read the book;
These apply to us -- we just have to look.
May God bless you and your family
As you look to Him for all eternity.
What encouragement this thoughtful gift brought me on a day when I needed to exchange anxiety for tranquility! Within a few minutes, I was sitting down for a moment's rest with a cup of tea and my devotional book. The soothing words of one entry reminded me of John 16:33: "These things have I spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." It is comforting to remember that the worldly cares that so often weigh us down are only temporal. And somehow, knowing that one day my only task will be to praise God, makes all those other earthly tasks a bit more bearable.

I am thankful for an opportunity to pause for a cup of tea poured by a friend who has walked this road before me. Margie's godly example, giving spirit and encouraging nature remind me that God blesses our journey with special people who fill our cups with spirituali-tea. 


If you would like to share this gift of tranquili-tea with a special lady in your life, find the devotional book Woman of God: Moments of Grace by Diane Graham and Julie Norris here.


Blog Widget by LinkWithin